How This Helps
We are again in a low-carb or no carb dinner mode. I typically make these kinds of soups for dinner since they are satisfying and filling as well. This particular soup is very easy to make and is also fat-free. This soup is also a whole meal by itself and does not require any bread or croutons on side. When making lentil soups, I usually add cumin and coriander powder.
1. Barley, 1/2 cup.
2. Lentils, any preferred type, I have used masoor dhal here, washed, 1/2 cup.
3. Onion, medium size, 1, diced.
4. Tomatoes, medium size, 2, chopped.
5. Diced carrots, 1/2 cup.
6. Green peas, 1/2 cup.
7. Crushed garlic, 1 teaspoon.
8. Any soup seasoning powder or any other seasoning of choice, 1/2 teaspoon.
9. Salt, as per taste.
10. Cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon.
11. Coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon.
13. Chopped cilantro for garnishing.
Add all the ingredients to a pressure cooker or a slow cooker or a pot and let it cook. If using a pressure cooker, just add enough water to cover, and pressure cook for 10 minutes for up to 2 whistles. For slow cooker, add around 3 cups of water, turn it on and let it do its thing! When cooking in a pot, add 3 cups of water, bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat and cook the soup at low-to-medium heat for 20 minutes until the barley and lentils are cooked and the soup reaches the desired consistency.