Lumpiang Sariwa- A Filipino Dish for diabetic and heart patients
How This Helps
- The dish is composed of various vegetable slices that make it a healthy choice. It is also rich in protein due to the tofu, lean pork slices, and crushed nuts. There is also minimal fat content as minimal to no oil is needed in cooking the dish- making it appropriate for CVD patients. The ingredients have low GI as well, making it an ideal dish for diabetic patients. The high fiber content of the dish can assist patients who want to trim down their size.
Preparation time: 50 minutes
A. Lumpia Filling
1. Lumpia wrappers- 8 pieces
2. Sliced Carrots, julienne style – ½ cup
3. Sliced Green Beans, julienne style- ½ cup
4. Sliced Cabbage, julienne style- ½ cup
5. Sliced Celery, julienne style- ¼ cup
6. Sliced Jicama, julienne style- ¼ cup (chestnut may be used instead of this ingredient)
7. Ground Lean Pork or Chicken- ½ cup
8. Cleaned and Deveined Shrimp- ½ cup
9. Roasted and Dry peanuts – 1/3 cup
10. Red Leaf Lettuce- 8 pcs
11. Chicken broth – ½ cup
12. Olive Oil- 1 tbsp.
13. Garlic- cloves
14. Salt- ¼ tsp.
15. Pepper- ¼ tsp.
B. Lumpia Sauce
1. Cornstarch- 1 tsp.
2. Cold Water- 2 tbsp. – this ingredient is mixed with the cornstarch
3. Light Soy Sauce- 1 tbsp.
4. Sautéed Vegetables broth- 1 cup
5. Garlic- 2 cloves
6. Brown Sugar- 1 tbsp.
1. Mince garlic, and crush peanuts using a mortar and pestle.
2. Sauté garlic in oil. Add the ground meat and shrimp once garlic turns to golden brown.
3. Add the carrots, green beans, celery, cabbage, and jicama until their consistency is crispy. Add the chicken broth and cook until the vegetables are well done. Add salt and pepper to taste. When done cooking, drain the mixture in a colander and set aside. The broth that was drain will then be used for the Lumpia sauce.
4. Soak each Lumpia wrapper in water until it becomes soft and transparent. Wipe with a paper towel to dry the Lumpia wrappers. Place the lettuce on top of the wrapper.
5. Add two tbps. of the vegetable mixture on the lettuce lying over the Lumpia wrapper. Slightly fold in half and roll the Lumpia wrapper properly.
6. Top with Lumpia sauce and chopped peanuts.
1. Mix the vegetable broth previously drained with soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic. Boil the mixture.
2. Add the 2 tbsp. of cold water to the cornstarch and mix.
3. Add the cornstarch mixture to the broth slowly. Stir the mixture until
the sauce obtains a thick consistency- slightly viscous but can flow.
1 serving = 1 pc Lumpia
Calories: 150 kcal
Total Fat: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Cholesterol: 55 mg
Sodium: 150 mg
Total Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 10 g
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Potassium: 170 mg
Science and Research
Get brief informational answers to your question from experts.