Thai Style Melon and Beef Salad
How This Helps
The dietary fiber in the vegetables and melon can help in giving obese and overweight patients the feeling of fullness. Also, this is a low-calorie meal as the greens replace the conventional rice or potato with high-caloric contents.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
6 servings (2 cups each)
- 1. Ripe Melon- 1 pc medium or large
- 2. Beef Sirloin/ Boneless steak – 12 ounces
- 3. Cucumber slices (halved)- ½ cup
- 4. Green bell pepper- 1 pc small
- 5. Red bell pepper- 1 pc small
- 6. Boston Lettuce- 1 head or lightly packed 6 cups
- 7. Crushed Red pepper- ½ or 1 tsp.
- 8. Slivered Red Onion- ½ cup
- 9. Garlic- 1 clove
- 10. Ground Pepper- ½ tsp.
- 11. Sugar- 2 tsps.
- 12. Mint leaves (lightly packed) – ½ cup
- 13. Lime juice- ½ cup
- 14. Fish Sauce- 3 tbsp.
- 15. Cilantro leaves (lightly packed) - ½ cup
- 16. Kosher Salt- ½ tsp.
- 1. Mince the garlic and cut the beef sirloin or boneless steak into 1 inch thick slices.
- 2. Season the meat with salt and pepper on both sides. For a medium-rare meat, grill for 5 minutes then turn the other side and grill for another 5 minutes. For a well- done meat, grill for 6 minutes instead. After cooking, set aside for 5 minutes, and slice the meat thinly in a crosswise orientation.
- 3. Mix the fish sauce, sugar, garlic, lime juice, and crushed red pepper and whisk.
- 4. Slice the melon into 5-inch long matchsticks. 4 cups of melon slices is recommended and store any remaining melon. Slice the bell peppers into 2-inch matchsticks. In a separate bowl, combine the sliced beef, melon, pepper, lettuce, onion, cucumber, cilantro and mint. Pour the dressing and toss the salad.
Grams per Serving: 180 g
Sat Fat: 1 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g
Folate: 23% daily value
Potassium: 21% daily value
Zinc: 17% daily value
Iron: 15% daily value
Science and Research
- 1. Melons are considered antioxidant due to the phytochemicals they contain. Hence they can help in preventing cancer through scavenging free radicals. Also, melons can improve insulin metabolism maintaining the glucose levels in the body. Also, it can reduce oxidative stress that can cause kidney problems. On the other hand, melons are also rich in potassium which is a vasodilator. They reduce tension in blood vessels maintaining the blood pressure of the patient. Potassium also improves blood and oxygen circulation that may reduce stress levels in the body.
- 2. Lettuce has its antioxidant properties and contains a significant amount of fiber. Antioxidants are free-radical scavengers- prevents cancer and other chronic diseases. Fiber on the other hand also improves GIT processes and induces the feeling of fullness and reduces the feeling of hunger.
- 3. Cucumber is known to be rich in vitamins and minerals. Vitamin A, C, and folate are found in its flesh and fiber, magnesium, molybdenum, and potassium are found in its skin. In addition to these nutrients, Cucumber can help the patient combat diabetes and CVD. A hormone needed by the beta-cells of the pancreas for insulin production is found in cucumbers. Also, cucumber has zero GI thus helps the blood sugar level at the desired level. When it comes to CVD, cucumber contains magnesium, potassium, and fibers that may help maintain blood pressure- particularly potassium since it is a vasodilator that helps in reducing tension in the blood vessels.