Step by Step Instructions for Forward Fold Pose - Uttanasana
1. Stand with your feet together or as wide as your hips. Raise your arms. Bend your knees slightly. Then, slowly bend forward and downward, bringing your arms down to the floor sending your torso down as well. Fold at the hips.
2. Keep the back straight as you go down, sending your bum up to the sky. Try not to lean back on your bum as you do this.
3. Make sure your lower belly and your chest are touching the tops of your thighs, like you’re lying your belly down on the thighs. If they’re far away from each other, slowly draw them closer by bending at the knees as much as you need to.
4. Bend your knees as much as you need to to comfortably hang your head and your arms.
5. If you’re more flexible already, bring the fingertips or hands on the floor and align the tips of your fingers with the tips of your toes.
6. Keep the core engaged and the belly tight to go deeper into this pose.
7. Stay here anywhere from 3 to 8 even breath cycles