How This Helps
Homemade buttermilk is the slightly sour liquid that is left over after whole milk is churned into butter. Buttermilk is lower in fat than regular milk it’s been taken out to make butter. There are lots of health benefits that could be related to cooking with buttermilk, such as being a digestive aid and other possible health properties associated with its abundant vitamin and mineral makeup. It is available in liquid, frozen, or powder form.
Ayurvedic buttermilk is very different from that which we call buttermilk from the West. This is often utilized to restore the beneficial intestinal bacteria — a special and difficult task. It’s extremely great for assimilation and provides a superb source of crucial digestive microbes. Ayurvedic buttermilk is far better than yogurt or lassi for lightening emotions, since it’s a lighter drink that doesn’t increase Kapha.
It helps restore the beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract, thus helping digestion and assimilation. Buttermilk is named Takra in Sanskrit. Buttermilk is just one of the frequent food item described in Ayurveda to use for a variety of kinds of disease. In present era it’s also employed as regular food item in the majority of the sections of India. In Ayurveda it is clarified that the Agni dushti (Imbalance in Digestion) is the main cause for all of the disease and Buttermilk is quite beneficial in the disease due to this imbalance of digestion or in metabolic disorders.
In Ancient Sanskrit textbook named Vaidyakiyashubhashitasahitya, it’s noted that God in heaven got immortality because of AMRUTA (nectar) and in the world Takra (Buttermilk) is for people to be immortal.
Buttermilk is useful in following conditions: SHOPHA (edema), ARSHAS (Hemorrhoids), GRAHANI VIKAR (Irritable bowel syndrome or Mal-absorption syndrome), UDAR ROGA (term for disorders of stomach ), ARUCHI (Anorexia), PANDU (Initial phase of liver disease or anemia ) (Reference: Charaka samhita,sutra sthana,27:229)
Normal use of buttermilk is good for Edema, Hemorrhoids and IBS or metabolic disorders. (Reference: Charaka samhita, Sutra sthana,25:40). Buttermilk is taken with Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) for Diabetic ailments. (Reference: Charaka samhita, Sutra sthana,23:17)
Buttermilk also finds a special mention in Ayurveda, and is described as a beverage that gods are envious of that reveals the many advantages of this drink. It’s believed to increase circulation, detoxifies and cleanses the system and beneficial to people with diarrhea and IBS. The other ailments that Buttermilk helps in healing are hypertension, arthrosclerosis and heart disease. Various methods of preparation together with the quantity of water is used for different Kapha, Vata, Pitta systems.
People who have digestive problems are often advised to drink Buttermilk as opposed to milk, as it’s more quickly and easily digested. Buttermilk has more lactic acid than skim milk. Buttermilk made in the home is a rich source of probiotics. Like Yogurt or kefir, buttermilk which has active cultures can help build healthy bacteria in the gut that may have been lost because of taking antibiotics. These wholesome bacteria improve digestion, aid in nourishment, and fight digestive difficulties from flatulence to Crohn’s disease.
People suffering from indigestion or reflux might realize that the abundance of buttermilk soothes an inflamed esophagus. If you want these digestive health properties, check that Your buttermilk includes live cultures. Buttermilk that’s been pasteurized will have killed the bacteria and cultures after it generated the tangy acid.
Other health benefits of buttermilk
- Growth and Osteoporosis: Among buttermilk’s biggest benefits is its calcium content. You need 1,000 mg of calcium every day, and every cup of low-fat buttermilk provides you 284 mg, just over a quarter of your objective. Getting ample calcium in your diet can help slow bone loss as you age, may help encourage new bone growth, and might stave off osteoporosis. Calcium is known to support cell communication and muscle contraction.
- Detox Your mind, body & soul: If you add buttermilk to your diet, then you increase your Riboflavin, or vitamin B-2 intake. Riboflavin activates enzymes in your cells, which can help drive energy production. Riboflavin also supports liver function, an integral process for detoxifying the body of toxins. Riboflavin helps your body create uric acid, a powerful antioxidant. One cup of buttermilk contains 377 micrograms of riboflavin, which is almost one-third of your body’s daily requirement.
- Protein is important for every cell of your body including bones, muscles, cartilage, , and blood. One cup of buttermilk contains 8.1 g of protein, which is roughly the same as one cup of low-fat milk.
- Butter milk doesn’t result in heaviness when consumed and gets digested efficiently. Butter milk is generally sour in flavor and acts as an astringent. Because of this property, butter milk aids in reducing pores due to acne and pimples. It reduces hyper motility of intestines through diarrhea and IBS. This property also can help shrink hemorrhoids). Aggravated Kapha and Vata are mitigated by buttermilk. According to Ayurveda, it reduces bloating of gut, eases symptoms of hemorrhoids, soothes intestines in IBS and aids in indigestion. Additionally, it reduces effects of toxins and is extremely helpful in treating anemia.
- Butter milk detoxifies body and cleanses the intestines, relieves constipation and helps replenish intestinal flora. It has less fat when compared with milk and is full of calcium, potassium and Vitamin B12. Takra cleanses the channels of flow (srotas), as a consequence of that rasa, the final product of digestion of food, reaches each of the cells properly. It creates appropriate nourishment, strength, and complexion.
- When the channels carrying nourishment to all cells in the body become clogged or obstructed because of any reason, the specific organ or system endures in efficacy because of lack of nourishment. It’s crucial to get rid of such blockages. The herbs or their mixtures which tackle these issues are termed “Rasayana” in Ayurveda. The forces that cause the blockage or immunity has to be eliminated. The stations that cause transportation are termed “strotas”. Buttermilk eliminates such blockages and purifies the “strotas”. This causes better motion (‘ayana’) of’anna-rasa’, the nutrients. When sufficient nourishment is obtained by cells (“koshas”), they begin working with complete force.
- Because of saturation or aging of strotas during old-age, the management systems of the body don’t get sufficient nutrients, which cause aging signs like lack of memory (dementia), diminished eyesight , wrinkles on skin, graying of hair, etc..
P- eople who take buttermilk frequently, don’t age faster, keep their arteries elastic for a longer time. Thus buttermilk is an elixir (param-amrutam) that keeps ‘Jara’ (old age) and ‘Vyadhi’ (disease) away. Ayurveda treats buttermilk as a super-food to maintain cholesterol related issues miles away.
Takra is for health of digestion and this means the entire health of the entire body and mind. Ayurveda uses buttermilk both to maintain health and to treat diseases. Butter milk is easy to digest, has sour and astringent tastes and is hot in nature. Buttermilk enhances digestion and mitigates Kapha and Vata.
- In Ayurvedic treatment, it’s helpful in the treatment of inflammation, gastro intestinal disorders, lack of desire, spleen disorders and nausea. Buttermilk is exceptionally beneficial during winter months, in indigestion and in Vata imbalance associated ailments. The pulp of wood apple, if blended with the buttermilk, cures diarrhea, dysentery and excessive hemorrhage. Drinking buttermilk mixed with powdered asafetida powdered cumin seed and powdered rock salt, cures diarrhea and abdominal pains.
- In the disease such as celiac disease, mixing powdered leaves of the sacred fig tree and dry ginger in buttermilk and drinking it’s quite beneficial. Drinking buttermilk made from fresh milk of cow, without mixing salt in it purifies the blood. It gives strength and energy, the complexion of the body improves, and it destroys numerous disease associated with Vata and Kapha doshas.
If equal amounts of powdered dry ginger, powdered black pepper, powdered of the leaves of fig tree and powdered rock salt is blended in buttermilk and then had, it cures indigestion. Similarly, if just powdered dry ginger and powdered black pepper is mixed with buttermilk, it also destroys indigestion.
As buttermilk is considered hot, and should be avoided in summer, or by people who have suffered any trauma or injury. It should also not be taken by people sensitive to or allrgic to lactose.