What is constipation?
completely evacuate the bowels or passing very hard stools is called constipation
or Vibandh in Ayurveda. This prevalent problem is because of an incorrect
lifestyle and bad eating patterns. Although constipation is often regarded as a
frequent problem, if not treated or when constipation treatment is delayed, it
may result in additional problems such as fissures, fistulas, piles, lack of
appetite, and indigestion.
is a condition whereby the stools become tough to pass or stop moving altogether for a while. But, constipation is typically accompanied by one or
more of the following symptoms:
during a bowel movement
– Being unable
to have a bowel movement
– A feeling
that a bowel motion was faulty
– A sense of
being blocked up
– The stools
themselves may be dry, hard, and pellet-like
How does Ayurveda view constipation?
Ayurveda, constipation happens when Vata’s cold and dry qualities disturb the
colon, inhibiting its proper functioning. The remedy is to add heat, oil, and
hydration into the system to be able to counter the excess Vata. These
strategies namely counter Vata’s cold and dry qualities and can be quite
valuable in supporting the return of regular bowel movements.
in bowel movements and constipation is a Vata condition expressing Vata
qualities of dry and difficult. Constipation is often brought on by
insufficient fiber in the diet, lack of proper hydration, lack of daily
exercise or motion, and excess meat, just to list some of the reasons.
Constipation and irregular bowel movements can lead to discomfort, pain,
flatulence, bad breath, headaches, and might result in the absorption of toxins in
Ayurveda believes that prevention is the best strategy when dealing
with constipation and Vata related ailments. Ayurveda proposes following a
Vata-pacifying diet, increasing fiber intake, drinking more water, and
performing regular exercise. Below are more details about the best way best to
prevent and cope with irregular bowel movements.
To provide root-cause constipation treatment, it’s important to comprehend the root-cause
first. Fundamentally, weak digestive power is the most frequent reason and it
results from incorrect and irregular eating patterns, not taking in enough
fluids, taking a diet that’s low in fiber, a sedentary lifestyle, and gut
evacuation habits which are poor. These all lead to incomplete digestion of the
food, which isn’t expelled from the intestines and causes the creation of ama
Ayurveda, undigested food, and occult stool gradually accumulate in the stomach
and large intestines and impair Vata dosha, leading to obstruction of the
digestive tract. When the digestive tract isn’t clear, the body won’t have the
ability to facilitate proper bowel motion, thereby causing the state of
Ayurvedic treatment for constipation
Ayurveda, constipation occurs when Vata’s chilly and dry attributes disturb the
colon, inhibiting its proper functioning. The remedy is to add heat, oil, and
more hydration into the body, among the best ways to avoid constipation,
particularly for predominately Vata constitutions, is via a balancing diet.
– Start with hydration
hydrated will help the hotel return normal bowel movements. Steer clear of cold or
carbonated beverages. Drink 5-8 glasses of water per day, along with tea and
– Snack on plenty of fruit
kinds of fruit that are high in fiber, juicy, and Vata pacifying can help with
constipation, such as bananas, peeled apples, soaked prunes, soaked raisins,
peaches, and pineapple.
– Eat More
help regulate bowel movements. Oatmeal, wheat Bran, or oat bran, fruit, and
vegetables can be raised if managing constipation.
– Take Milk
1 or 2 tsp of ghee in a cup of hot milk is a Gentle and effective means of
– Try Flaxseed
boil 1 tablespoon of flaxseed in a cup of water for 2-3 minutes. Drink the
– Increase the
Number of Organic Oils
oils assist lubricated the cells and allow for easier bowel movements. The best
oils are ghee, sesame oil, and olive oil.
– Get Regular
exercise helps keep the bowel movements active. Half an Hour of running,
swimming, walking, or other exercise is recommended every day. Yoga asanas are
highly recommended too, such as Sun Salutations, Chest-Knee pose, and Leg
– Try Vata
one of the best Ayurvedic treatments for constipation. Triphala consists of
three fruits that balance all three doshas and help support healthy
elimination. Many issues with constipation may be helped by taking 1/2 to1 tsp
of Triphala at night, Steep the herbs in a cup of warm water for 5 to 10
minutes and drink. As with all medications and herbs, it’s better to consult an
Ayurvedic Doctor and a health professional, if using different mediations.
Foods that are heavy and hard to digest, and greasy, spicy, fried and junk foods are the culprits. Eating food in a troubled atmosphere or in front of the tv and being awake late at night all lead to bowel disturbance. Psychological factors such as stress, anxiety, fear, jealousy, and sorrow also play an essential part and can be addressed through Ayurvedic constipation treatment.
remember to relax and not to get too wound up with the pain or frustration when
dealing with constipation or irregular bowel movements. Try to sip warm water,
eat more fiber, and keep your exercise routine.
Ayurvedic diet & lifestyle advice
The following dietary & lifestyle modifications will help:
· Increase the intake of fiber, particularly fruits and fruits.
· An apple
or banana daily is helpful. Bananas should be ripe (bright yellow.
· Drink 7-8
glasses of water every day, rather lukewarm in winters and room -temperature
· Have a
mid-morning soup, preferably prepared with tomato and spinach.
· Walk for
at least 20-30 minutes each twice daily.
· Eat whole
grains and nuts.
removing bran from the flour because the bran is an insoluble fiber that melts
the intestines and alleviates constipation.
refined foods such as white bread, pasta, pasta, pizza, white rice, etc..
-protein foods such as cheese, red meat, and legumes can lead to constipation,
so these have to be taken with a bowl of salad and a lot of liquids.
· Meat is
constipating and must be avoided.
psychological elements should be eliminated, and foods should be taken in a
relaxed and serene atmosphere.
· The food
should be warm and freshly -prepared, as cold and stale food slows down the
excessively cold foods such as ice cream or chilled beverages lower the bowel
Ayurvedic home remedies for constipation
Try the following home remedies with Ayurvedic wisdom included:
· Eat Loads of Fruit: Fruits are fibrous, hydrating, and generally pacifying to Vata. Especially supportive choices consist of ripe bananas, peeled apples, soaked raisins, soaked prunes, and peaches. Make sure to eat the fruit at least one hour before or after other foods and chew them completely to obtain the most benefit.
· Drink Some Fruit Juice: Pineapple juice and prune juice are especially capable of transferring excess Vata from the colon. Additionally, it is fine to heat or dilutes fruit juices.
· Take Soaked Flax Seeds: Before bed, boil one tablespoon of flaxseeds in about a cup of water for 2-3 minutes. Cool and drink the tea along with the seeds. Two Allow at least one hour (preferably 2–3) between your last meal of the day and this bedtime drink.
· Drink Plenty of Hot Herbal Tea: Drink at least 80 oz of water or herbal tea each day. Warm and hot fluids are best since they balance Vata’s chilly quality. In addition, it is important to drink the vast majority of those fluids away from foods –at least 20 minutes prior to, or one hour after eating.
· Increase the Number of Organic Oils in Your Diet: High-quality oils help to lubricate the cells so that an appropriate quantity of fat or oil can stay in the stool. While most oils are usually supportive, the best oils for Vata contain jojoba oil, ghee, and olive oil. Take 1
tablespoon of castor oil at bedtime till you get relief.
· Develop a habit of drinking water in the morning. Start with two glasses of water, and
increase intake up to 6 – 7 glasses. It’s more valuable if this water could be
saved in a gas container overnight.
· Soak 3-4
dried figs after washing them immediately in water. Eat them first thing in the
morning, and drink the water in which they were soaked. They should also be
taken in the day. Try this treatment for 3-4 weeks.
· Apply 3 to
4 drops of lukewarm castor oil over the navel through the night in children. It
will assist in clearing the bowel movements in children (old 1- 3 years) in the
lukewarm sesame oil onto the navel throughout taking a bath and put a towel (which
is dipped in warm water) on the lower abdomen.
Constipation remedies FAQs
– What causes constipation? Constipation is the state of your digestive tract where you can face hard feces that are difficult to expel. The major reason behind this is that the absorption of too much water out of food in your colon. The second reason behind it is a poor lifestyle and poor eating habits like excessive fast food & alcohol intake. Certain homeopathic medicines and aging can also be one reason for constipation.
– What are constipation symptoms? Having lumpy and difficult stool, passing two to three feces per week, disturbed bowel movements, feeling uncomfortable and irritated, feeling because there’s a blockage in your anus, and you need help to drain your anus by pressing your lower stomach. These are some common symptoms of constipation.
– Do dairy products cause constipation? In some individuals, particularly kids, excess consumption of milk and other dairy products may cause constipation. All the dairy products have a low content of fiber and higher content of fat. That’s the principal reason for constipation, so you need to avoid more intake of milk and milk products.
– How can you alleviate constipation pain & discomfort? One of the best remedies for you is to increase the intake of fluids, fibers, non-fermented fibers, caffeinated coffee, and use some herbal products free of side effects and using high healing power.
– Which vitamins help to offer relief from constipation?
Vitamin C, Vitamin B-5, Folic acid, and Vitamin B-9, Vitamin B-12 are great for constipation Issue. Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin, and it can pull water in your gut and make stool soften. Vitamin B-5 will help in muscle contraction on your digestive tract that moves your feces easily towards your gut. Folic acid and Vitamin B-9 raise the digestion power from the formation of amino acids that will accelerate the digestion procedure. You also need to take vitamin B-12 since it also alleviates the Constipation issue.
– Can you get Vitamin B-12 naturally?
The principal sources of Vitamin B-12 are beef, poultry, liver, fish like salmon, tuna fish, eggs, fortified breakfast cereals, low-fat milk, and yogurt. All these products are full of Vitamin B-12. So you need to add these products to your diet when you have a vitamin B-12 deficiency.
– Are laxative foods good for constipation?
Yes, laxative foods like chia seeds, figs, dried plums, leafy green vegetables, pears, kiwi, spinach, and apple are great for constipation because plum comprises cellulose, which increases the quantity of water from the stool. Other foods also stimulate the bowel movement during constipation, so you should add theses laxatives into your everyday diet.
– Can constipation go away by itself? The majority of the time it goes off by itself by taking any laxatives and other foods that are useful in constipation, but if you’ve got this problem longer than a couple of weeks than you need to go for a few herbal products that are just natural and free of any additives and preservatives.
– Do bananas make you constipated?
Unripe or green banana triggers constipation since it comprises a high content of starch, which is not easy for the body to digest. It contains fiber pectin, which pulls all of the water from the gut. However, in ripe banana, all of the starch content converted into sugar, which cannot make constipation worse.
– Foods to avoid for constipation?
Dairy products, cheese, ice-cream, surplus milk, highly processed foods, red meat, chips, frozen dinner, fried goods, packaged food, and excessive alcohol intake are the foods and beverages, which make constipation worse and may lead to stomach pain.
– Is Apple Cider Vinegar great for constipation?
Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural laxative, and it contains pectin that’s a water-soluble fiber and has malic acid and acidic acid that improves the total digestion of the body. Magnesium in ACV boosts the normal bowel movement.