How To Do Mayurasana Peacock Pose & Benefits
How This Helps
Benefits of Mayurasana (Peacock Pose):
Ø When this exercise is done, the organs within the
abdominal cavity are placed under pressure. This increases the intra-abdominal
pressure and increases peristalsis. This ensures a very good evacuation of the
Ø The intra-abdominal massage also ensures good blood
supply to all the muscles within the abdomen ensuring optimum functioning.
Ø This exercise is very good for helping constipation
Ø This exercise is very good for improving the
functioning of the liver, pancreas, and kidneys.
Ø The action of lifting the legs strengthens the muscles
of the wrist and forearms and the lower back.
Technique for doing the peacock pose:
Ø Squat on the heels. Bend forward to kneel on the
Ø Bring forearms together such that the little fingers
of both hands are touching.
Ø Plant the palm firmly on the ground near the knees
with the fingers facing the knee and the inside of the forearm facing out.
Ø Inhale partially; let the abdomen fall gently on the
back of the joined elbows such that the elbows are in the region of the navel.
Ø Stretch legs back one at a time and stiffen them.
Ø Retaining the breath, rock the body forward slightly
such that legs lift, the body is balanced evenly on the hands and parallel to
the ground. The legs should remain stretched and the buttocks contracted.
Retain for 5 counts. Repeat 3 times.
Ø Since there is a danger of toppling, it is advisable
to keep a soft pillow in front to prevent damage to the face. If falling
sideways, use the deltoids to break the fall.
Ø People with cardiac, hernia, and renal disease should
avoid this asana.
One of the problems in performing this asana is maintaining
both, axial (along the length of the body) and lateral (balance between the
hands) balance. One could keep the hands slightly apart such that the elbows
sit on either side of the abdominal muscle (abs). This increases lateral
Should one not feel confident about maintaining axial
balance, there is an enormous benefit to be accrued even if this asana is
performed without lifting the feet. One could perform this asana with both feet
on the ground; first, lift one foot and then the other.
People suffering from the carpal tunnel will find this exercise
difficult to perform. There will be severe pain in the wrist. Hence, one should
first perform wrist movement and strengthening exercises before slowly
increasing the load on the wrists. If the pain continues, stop.
The reason one is asked to take a half breath as in Shalabasana is to ensure
that the abdomen is not unduly stressed. In complete exhalation, the abdominal
viscera would be loosely packed in the abdomen, while after complete
inhalation; the abdomen would be tight, leading to stomach cramps. This is
avoided by taking a half breath whereby the abdomen is not stressed.
Peacock pose (Mayurasana) benefits
Peacock Pose (Mayurasana) is a hand-balancing yoga exercise posture. Closely associated with Hatha yoga, it's practiced in various other forms of yoga also. Your core and back are engaged when balancing on your hands, wrists, and forearms. This position is a terrific way to release stress in the body, elongate your limbs, and test your balancing abilities.
Due to its sophisticated nature, this yoga position is best incorporated near the middle or end of a series of postures, such as a sunlight salutation or seated poses. Get ready for this advanced yoga posture by opening up the body parts that are targeted. The wrists are specifically prone to straining, so wrist stretches are recommended.
Several innovative arms pose need sufficient top body stamina to stabilize the rest of the body. It can take a while for people of all experience degrees to understand this posture and see its benefits. This hand-balancing pose can prepare you for various other yoga exercise positions that call for upper body stamina and equilibrium.
There are many Mayurasana benefits:
- Mayurasana strengthens and energizes many body organs, consisting of the belly, intestinal tracts, spleen, liver, pancreatic, and kidneys. It additionally boosts the lungs as well as aids in its appropriate functions. It tones up the digestion of body organs. It can increase the blood flow in the stomach area.
- A study released in the Indian Journal of Palliative Care suggests that practicing Mayurasana maintains cortisol degrees in your brain in check. You tend to stay away from stress and anxiety.
- Digestion: In the yogic custom, the navel is regarded as the residence of the digestive system fire. Imbalances at the navel are the principal reason for digestive system issues and several wellness ailments. The placement of elbow joints besides the navel strongly affects the inequalities in the navel, causing strong food digestion and glowing health. - Practicing Mayurasana gets rid of toxins from our body, and it cleanses blood too. If you are handling gut health troubles or if somebody in the family is taking care of diabetes mellitus, this asana is a must-do.
- Mental health: The Manipura chakra lies over the navel or a little below the solar plexus. When the elbow joints are burrowed in the navel, the Manipura chakra gets triggered. The Manipura chakra is the seat of clearness, self- guarantee, happiness, and understanding, transforming your spiritual and mental health and wellness.
- Kundalini power: The spiritual advantages of the peacock position includes the awakening of the Kundalini power. When the Kundalini energy occurs, several psychological and psychological adjustments influence you to navigate the spiritual path.
- Body & leg strength: In Mayurasana, you strengthen your back, torso, and legs due to the position of these body locations. A robust body is a supreme key to living a life of wellness and also attractive look.
- Belly fat: In the Mayurasana, pressure is applied to the abdominal area that stimulates the nerve plexus in the abdominal area as well as the body organs of the liver spleen, kidney, gallbladder, pancreas, and also circulatory system. Consequently, Mayurasana tones the abdominal muscles and also strengthens the abdominal body organs. Durable and operating body benefits of peacock pose are ensured with utmost commitment.
- Lower arms strength: As you balance the torso on your arms, move the weight right into the hands, as well as highly involve your lower arms during the method of the present, you reinforce your wrists and also forearms in the Mayurasana. The wellness advantages of Mayurasana for the wrists and forearms make it among the efficient practice to embrace for working on both these locations, which are commonly ignored.
As individuals have varying abilities, a yoga pose may be simpler for some but hard for others. In such situations, a yoga teacher can introduce pose variations to challenge those who are discovering a particular yoga pose easily or present a less complicated variation of a pose for others who are finding the main pose hard.
Try resting a yoga block under your hips. This will help you support your type as you raise your feet off the ground. It will certainly additionally aid you to ease right into the position by encouraging correct balance. With practice, you might have the ability to carry out Peacock Posture without alterations.
Peacock Posture is an innovative yoga present because it calls for upper body toughness and balance. If you can not raise your legs while continuing to be well balanced and safe, and secure on your hands, there are some modifications and beginner-friendly presents to aid you to ease into the last present. Beginners should warm up with a slab posture, such as Reduced Slab (Chaturanga Dandasana). If you go to the intermediate level, you can warm up with the Crow Pose (Bakasana).