How To Do Chaturanga Dandasana Four-Limbed Staff Pose & Benefits
How This Helps
up your abdomen.
Think of the coffee table – long and low designed for supporting beverages or could be even decorative items at the center of a living room. The coffee table relates to chaturanga yoga because an imaginary coffee table helps you visualize the alignment as though you were balancing a teacup on different parts of the body such as the elbows, shoulders, etc.
Normally, this pose is part of the Surya Namaskar (Sun salutation) vinyasa and some people tend to skimp this pose. But, perfecting yoga chaturanga is a better way to progress into the next step. In Sanskrit, Chatur denotes Four and Anga translates to limb while Danda is the Sanskrit term for staff.
- 1. Start with Adho Mukha Svanasana and proceed to the Plank Pose
2. Exhale and gradually lower your legs and torso by a few inches parallel to the surface. Watch out to see if the lower back is swaying towards the floor and the tail bone poking up towards the ceiling. Throughout the time you are in this pose, it is important that your legs are active and the tailbone in place firmly. Likewise, your Drishti (focus) should be on the tip of the nose or Nasagra.
3. Ensure that the space between your shoulder blades is broad
4. Keep your elbows at right angle drawing support with your palms
5. Rotate your arms externally throughout the pose and particularly when you are lowering into Chaturanga Dandasana.
6. Practice the pose for up to 30 seconds
- If you are pregnant or have problems with Carpal tunnel syndrome, you should keep off this pose.
If you suffer from a wrist injury, shoulder injury, lower back problems, carpal tunnel syndrome, or are pregnant, you are better off not practicing this yoga pose.
Science and Research
Chaturanga Dandasana four-limbed staff pose benefits
Chaturanga Dandasana (four-limbed staff pose) is a challenging low-plank pose demanding balance, strength, and awareness. This dynamic pose entails using the hands and toes to maintain the body parallel to the ground while maintaining the elbows at a 90-degree angle alongside the body, comparable to a push-up. The pose helps develop strength and also prepares yogis for advanced flows and arm balances.
Chaturanga helps build strength and self-confidence and acts as a stepping stone for more advanced flows and arm balances. The pose builds on core strength as well as back muscular tissues, quadriceps, and also spine muscle mass and involves the triceps and also biceps, wrists, as well as pectoral muscle mass. This pose involves the shoulder and also the top back, including the serratus former and posterior and also the trapezius and rhomboids.
Chaturanga Dandasana benefits include:
- Back pain: Individuals struggling with a selection of associated back troubles need to offer Chaturanga Dandasana a possibility to treat them. The four-limbed staff pose targets the upper and reduced back and assists in remedying the back alignment and strengthening the back muscular tissues. A healthy back is crucial in preventing spondylitis, bent back, slip disc, etc.
- Flexibility: Physical security is important for decreasing drops and also resulting damage. While the loss of flexibility can be a predisposing variable for discomfort, equilibrium problems, and so on, the four-limbed staff pose works doubly on the body of a specialist, giving them both security and versatility.
- Awareness: The Chaturanga Dandasana is a fantastic pose that helps people develop a mind-muscle link and educates them on the tools of proper weight circulation utilizing the arms and legs. The pose is additionally known for growing one's understanding regarding body alignment, particularly in the arms.
- Arms strength: The most basic method to properly train the arms is to practice the four-limbed staff poses daily. Thirty seconds in Chaturanga Dandasana is all you need for strong arms and company grip. Strong arms, arms, and a constant grip are very beneficial for Golf gamers and non-players. It helps in daily movements, training of objects, and also sporting activities features.
- Abdominal Strength: Abdominal strength and endurance are much more about a decreased backache, quality stance, functional stamina, boosted sports tasks, and so a lot more than simply the abdominal muscles. Among the numerous approaches available for toning the stomach muscles, yoga has been verified to be useful for most with no side effects. Chaturanga Dandasana is one such yoga exercise stance that helps in structure as well as toning stomach muscles.
Summary of benefits:
- Develops stamina in shoulders as well as scapula stabilizers when exercised with correct alignment.
- Great preparation for even more arm equilibriums.
- Creates core strength as you work to hold your body straight.
- Strengthens arms and also triceps along with forearm muscle mass.
- Enhances the core.
If you want a lot more on the benefits of yoga exercise, see our total guide to the advantages of yoga exercise, which includes a background of yoga plus the beginnings of our contemporary yoga technique as well as far more.
This is an advanced and challenging pose, and best learned from an experienced yoga teacher. If your body requires some added assistance in this pose, see the Alterations area listed below for concepts on just how to do this pose safely. Do not do this pose if you have:
- low or high blood pressure
- a shoulder injury
- wrist, elbow, and/or shoulder injury
- back injuries
Do not try this pose if you are pregnant.