Brocoli and cheddar cheese soup for diabetes type II diet
How This Helps
Soup mania has been going around in my house again. I have been preparing different soups for the last couple of days/weeks almost everyday and I am always on the lookout for different soup recipes. This particular soup is my daughter's favorite since she loves the cheese flavor in this soup. I tried to make a healthier version of this soup by skipping the cream and using low-fat cheeses. No one noticed the difference and there was also no difference in the taste. Including a toasted whole grain crusty bread like sourdough bread or a baguette makes this a hearty and complete meal.
1. Onion, medium size, 1, diced finely.
2. Broccoli, 1 large head, chopped finely along with the stalks.
3. Garlic, 3 cloves, crushed.
4. Any kind of seasoning mixture, 1/2 teaspoon.
5. Vegetable bouillon cube or powder, 1/2 teaspoon, (optional), I have a organic, MSG-free powder here.
6. Skim milk or almond milk, 1 cup.
7. Corn starch, dissolved in 1/2 cup of water, 1-1/2 tablespoons.
5. Water, or chicken or vegetable broth, 4 cups.
6. Salt, as per taste.
7. Pepper powder, a pinch.
8. Grated parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon.
9. Grated cheddar cheese, preferably low fat, 2 tablespoons.
Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and sauté them for a couple of minutes until the onions are tender. Then add the crushed garlic, chopped broccoli, seasoning mixture, and vegetable bouillon powder; mix everything and sauté for a minute. Add the water, milk, corn starch and let the soup cook for 5-10 minutes until the soup thickens to the desirable consistency and the broccoli is cooked. Add salt and pepper as per taste now and stir in the cheese and let it melt. Garnish the soup and serve hot with any type of breads.