Udvartana Ayurvedic Weight Loss Massage
What is Udvartana or Udwarthanam?
Udvartan is among the best treatment in Ayurvedic remedies for weight reduction. It's a deep tissue massage with ayurvedic herbal powders. The main advantage of this Udvartana is to eliminate toxins through the skin. Ayurvedic physicians mainly recommend it for reducing excess fat and cellulite accumulated under the skin. That makes Udvarthana or Udwartana an effective Ayurvedic treatment for weight loss. Additionally, it tones the skin and gives strength to the body. Other benefits include improvement in skin elasticity, skincare, stress relief, and relaxation.
According to Ayurveda classics, Udvarthana, also known as Udwartana, means 'urdhavagati abhyanga' or a variation of Abhyanga massage with upward strokes using soft and aromatic herbal powders (Churnas) and it is usually done by applying slight pressure. However, Udvarthana is far more than a weight-loss therapy. Udvarthana isn't limited just to deal with obesity issues but is regarded as an effective remedy for a vast number of ailments. It's also a part of Dinacharya (daily healthier regimen) and may be performed at home daily.
Udvartana treatment types
In this process, the body could be coated with herbal oils, and then herbal powders called Choornams are rubbed liberally on the body in the up direction. The massage techniques are performed by applying proper pressure to break down the fat under the skin. The mixture of herbal powder is used, and the massage is done for approximately 60 minutes. This treatment is concluded by complete relaxation of half an hour in steam treatment followed by a bath.
The heat generated through massage melts the extra fat that's accumulated from the body. It improves the blood flow, rejuvenates the body, and improves skin texture. Certain skin diseases may be treated with Udvartan. There are mainly two types of Udvartanam
- Snigadh or Sneha
Snigadh Udvartan is a massage using sterile powder and medicated oils. This kind of massage is quite valuable in improving skin texture and is advised for skincare and certain skin diseases. Ruksha Udvartan is performed only with dry powders. Since the massage is dry and rough, it assists in reducing weight and Kapha Dosha.
Udvartana health benefits
Udvartana is usually recommended for people suffering from obesity or overweight, diabetic neuropathy, muscular fatigue, rheumatoid arthritis, to enhance the skin glow and feel, following pregnancy to reduce excess fat accumulated around the abdomen, to relax from the stresses, for body stiffness, and as a rejuvenation treatment. Udvartana might also be given for a particular body part to decrease the sthanika or localized fat deposition to aid in reducing abdominal fat reduction. It is also used to improve the flow of blood to a specific portion of the body, such as in Rheumatoid arthritis.
The results of the treatment are highly individualized based on an individual's needs. The effect of Udvarthana is heightened by following a strict diet prescribed to the individual. Kaphahara ahara/diet and lifestyle is suggested to lower the surplus accumulated Kapha from the body. A Kapha-balancing diet includes foods like low-fat milk, fresh greens and veggies, and cutting back on sweets and dairy products, fresh fruits. Consuming a diet that's hot and hot (Katu rasa), astringent (Kashaya rasa), and sour (Tikta rasa) are better. Brisk walking for 20 minutes or doing yoga or exercise for 30 minutes is also advised.
Udwartana tones and exfoliate the skin, reduce fat tissue and weight, makes skin radiant and luminous, improves skin complexion, eliminates terrible body odor, removes toxins, and cleanses the epidermis.
- Cellulite Reduction & obesity: Udvarthanam (Udvartana) is quite helpful in reducing cellulite and fat accumulation. Overweight people can also get benefit from using this method to control their body weight. The herbal powder massage assists in breaking down the cellulite and raises the burning accumulated fat.
- Abdominal Fat Accumulation: If you have loose skin on arms, buttocks, thighs, or abdomen, then Ayurvedic powder massage is quite efficacious in this circumstance. It can help to reduce subcutaneous fatty tissue and tissue. It reduces body weight and helps other weight loss remedies.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Udvartana (powder massage) reduces KAPHA and AMA. In rheumatoid arthritis, AMA is a principal factor, so it's beneficial for reducing inflammation and symptoms of the joints. Sometimes, rubbing the herbal powder with stress can increase pain, so rubbing should be mild and perform under the supervision of an ayurvedic physician. Ruksha Udvartana is more valuable when stiffness with the heaviness feeling is your principal symptom when compared with joint tenderness. Snigadh Udvartana is more beneficial for tender joints with redness.
- Body Stiffness: It eliminates body stiffness and helps to open blocked pores of skins. It facilitates the absorption of oils that are beneficial in the skin.
- Exfoliates skin: Ayurvedic Powder Massage tones and hydrates the skin removes the toxins and prevents skin ailments.
- Improves Blood Circulation: Ayurvedic powder massage enhances peripheral blood flow.
Other benefits include:
- Obesity - tremendously beneficial for fat loss
- Abdominal Obesity
- Cellulite breakdown
- Sclerosis of blood vessels
- Sciatica of KAPHA source
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Reduce mobility to joints because of excessive KAPHA, AMA
- Preventing loosening of skin beneath weight reduction program
- Weight gain after childbirth
- Muscular weakness
- Removing dead cells from the skin
- It reduces the cellulite or subcutaneous fat deposition
- Removes bad odor from the skin
- Reduces heaviness, drowsiness in body
- Clears skin pores and reduces profuse perspiration
- It alleviates the Vata dosha and dissolves excessive Kapha dosha to make the body lighter
- Stabilizes and strengthens the body parts
- Nourishes skin by enhancing the peripheral blood flow
- Removes the cubes from the blood vessels and thus it reduces body stiffness and body pain
- Enhances the glow of skin by supplying luster
- Enhances skin tone and complexion
- Reduces stress
Many studies have observed the effect of Udvartana. Although the process is commonly used for weight loss, improving skin tone, or rheumatoid arthritis, research has been done to evaluate the impact of Udvarthana on Cerebral Palsy patients as well. It is regarded as a multifaceted treatment process. It is proven to remove blocks, boost metabolism and blood flow, de-stress the human body and brain, enrich the cells with essential nutrients, detoxifies the system, and rejuvenates it.
Udvartan precautions & side effects
Among the most common side effects of rubbing the dry powder from the skin is cuts or pigmentation into the skin, which could bring about a burning sensation. Udvarthana isn't recommended in case of dry skin, for kids under ten years, pregnant women, people with skin diseases (eg, eczema and psoriasis). It is also not recommended on open wounds, cuts, and burns, following a Panchakarma or detoxification process, on emaciated or weak men. Udvartan should be avoided from the following instances:
- Dry Skin
- skin with cuts or other injuries.
- Individuals suffering from eczema or psoriasis
- Pregnant women and children under ten
Udvartana herbal powders and technique
Ayurvedic Herbs Choice: Herbs choice should be based on the body type of someone. Here are a few herbs, which can be used in Ayurvedic powder massage or Udvartana.
Herbs for Weight Loss
- Triphala powder: Triphala has a property to decrease body weight. However, it's used orally or internally to eliminate weight, but can also be beneficial for reducing cellulite when used externally on the body in herbal powder massage. Ingredients of Triphala are Emblica Officinalis -- Amalaki (Amla or Indian Gooseberry), Terminalia bellirica -- Bibhitaki, and Terminalia Chebula -- Haritaki
Medicated Oils Uses in Udvartana
The oil is selected according to the body type and requirement according to disease. For weight loss, the following can be used:
- Triphala Oil
- Kottamchukkadi Thailam
- Dhanwantharam Thailam
- Karpasasthyadi Thailam
- Lavana Oil
An ayurvedic expert is a master in specific Udvartana techniques that help break down cellulite under the skin. The ayurvedic powder massage is done in seven body places by rubbing and massaging pressure for a particular period. It reduces cellulite and excess fat accumulation under the subcutaneous tissues of the skin. Powder massage is performed with wet or dry medicated herbal powders with a massage therapist for around 30 to 45 minutes.
Udvartan is an exceptional treatment for weight loss, but the results of this massage can differ. The therapist selects a mix of oils and herbs that would yield particular results based on an individual's specific needs. Include physical activity and Yoga to assist in keeping the ideal mind-body balance. These, along with Udvartan, can help in weight reduction.
See: Ayurvedic Massage
1. Peterson C, et al. (2017) Therapeutic uses of triphala in Ayurvedic medicine. DOI: 10.1089/acm.2017.0083
2. Quadeer F, et al. (2018). Effect of pterocarpus marsupium in animal model of high carbohydrate diet-induced metabolic syndrome. ejmanager.com/mnstemps/28/28-1533545749.pdf?t=1563155533
3. Rioux J, et al. (2014). A feasibility pilot study of whole-systems Ayurvedic medicine and yoga therapy for weight loss. DOI: 10.7453/gahmj.2013.084
4. Salkumar I, et al. (2017). Effect of guggulsterone on the expression of adiponectin in 3t3-l1 cells.
5. Tavakkoli A, et al. (2017). Review on clinical trials of black seed (Nigella sativa ) and its active constituent, Thymoquinone. DOI: 10.3831/KPI.2017.20.021
6. 7 reasons to start your day with lemon water. (2015). health.clevelandclinic.org/7-reasons-to-start-your-day-with-lemon-water-infographic/
7. Ayurvedic medicine: In depth. (2019). nccih.nih.gov/health/ayurveda/introduction.htm
8. Bo S, et al. (2014). Consuming more of daily caloric intake at dinner predisposes to obesity. A 6-year population-based prospective cohort Study. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0108467
9. Ogilvie RP, et al. (2017). The epidemiology of sleep and obesity. DOI: 10.1016/j.sleh.2017.07.013
10. Yang J, et al. (2012). Guggulsterone inhibits adipocyte differentiation and induces apoptosis in 3T3‐L1 cells. DOI:
11. Food guidelines for basic constitutional types. (2018). ayurveda.com/pdf/food-guidelines.pdf
12. Lad V. (2016). Ayurveda: A brief introduction and guide. ayurveda.com/pdf/intro_ayurveda.pdf
13. A Clinical Study to Assess the impact of Lekhan Basti, Udvarthana, and Navak Guggulu in the management of Obesity vis-à-vis Sthaulya: Parul Sharma, Bhushan Sharma; IAMJ: Volume 3; Issue 2; February- 2015.
14. Effect of Udvarthana on Obesity: Venkatappa Vinayaka and Patil Suchitra. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. May 2014, 20(5): A148-A148. DOI:10.1089/acm.2014.5396. abstract
15. Role of Udvarthana on Psychophysical Parameters of healthy volunteers: A randomized Controlled Trial, Vivek Kumar Mishra, Dilipkumar K. V, and Naha Mishra; World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vol 5, Issue 03, 2016, 1293 -- 1301.
16. Management of spastic Cerebral Palsy through numerous Ayurveda treatment modalities: Bhinde SM, Patel KS, Kori VK, Rajagopala S; Ayu. 2014 Oct-Dec; 35(4):462-6. DOI: 10.4103/0974-8520.159044
Get brief informational answers to your question from experts.